Using the BBQ Grill Mat for Pizza
The first time I heard of making pizza on a grill all I could think of was, why would anyone want to do that?
Now that I've done it more than a few times I can think of several reasons, the first being who wants to heat up an oven to 450°F or higher on a hot summer day?
If you use a grill to make pizza, you can keep the heat outside where it belongs. Grills also better mimic a wood fired oven than your conventional indoor oven.
Whether using charcoal or gas, the smoke from the grill will help give your pizza great flavor that you simply cannot get from a regular oven.
It's also easy! Assuming you've properly heated the grill, your dough will form a lovely lightly browned crust.
The trick is that you cook the plain dough first, on one side, on the grill. Then remove it, flip it, brush the grilled side with sauce and toppings, and return the pizza to the grill for final cooking.
How to Grill Pizza
- Pizza dough
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Standard toppings of sauce, herbs, cheese, and maybe some other toppings including meats and vegetables
- Make pizza dough from scratch or use prepared pizza dough.
- Prepare the grill for high direct heat. Prepare the toppings so they are ready to go on the pizza—sauce, cheese, and anything else you wish.
- Shape the pizza dough by flattening it with your hands on a slightly floured surface. Either use your fingers to stretch the dough out, or hold up the edges of the dough with your fingers, letting the dough hang and stretch, while working around the edges of the dough.
- Place a pizza dough round onto the BBQ grill mat and carefully place on the grill grates. Close the grill lid and let cook for two minutes.
- After two minutes, open the grill and check underneath the dough to see if it is getting browned. If it is on one side, but not another, use a spatula or tongs to rotate the dough 90 degrees and cook for another minute.
- Remove grilled dough and flip it over onto a cookie sheet:
Once the pizza dough has browned lightly on one side, use your cookie sheet or pizza peel to remove it from the grill. Use a spatula to flip the dough over so that the grilled side is now up. Keep the grill covered so it retains its heat for the next step.
- Brush with olive oil, add toppings:
- Slide the topped pizza back onto the grill: