How to Make Salted Caramel Popcorn
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, or more to taste, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the popcorn into the popper with no oil or salt.
- Secure the lid, and microwave on high until popping slows. This will take about 2-2 1/2 minutes, depending on your microwave.
- Carefully remove the hot popper from the microwave, and pour the popped corn into a medium bowl. Remove any unpopped kernels and discard.
- Place the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and vanilla into the popper, securing the lid. (Do not rinse the popper before doing this, as water droplets can interfere with the caramel.)
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, then return to the microwave and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove the sauce and carefully pour over the popcorn in the bowl, stirring to coat. Work quickly, as you don’t want the caramel to set before it coats the popcorn.
- Return the coated popcorn to the popper, and secure the lid.
- Microwave on high for 45 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave, and spread the caramel corn on a silicone baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) of salt onto the popcorn.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the popper.
- Allow to set until hardened, then break and store in the clean, dry, popper.
These recipes make enough to flavor 2-3 batches of popcorn made in the Cestari Popcorn Maker, depending on your taste. Feel free to adjust the quantities of each spice.
For best results, coat the popcorn with melted butter or spray with coconut oil spray before mixing with the seasonings so that the toppings will adhere to the popcorn.
Copyright 2021, Larson MacDowell Enterprises LLC