Chalkboard Label Use
Create a Final Four Board
March Madness has been the pinnacle of sports in March. The appetite for bracket busters and Cinderella stories has made the NCAA Tournament an exciting yearly event.
It is the yearly college basketball tournament held by the NCAA that spans from mid-March to early April. The tournament began with eight teams playing against one another in 1939, where Oregon beat Ohio State to take home the first tournament title.
Over the years, the tournament grew from an eight-team event to 16 in 1951. In 1975, it doubled to 32 before doubling again to 64 in 1985. Currently, 68 teams make it into the tournament with eight teams participating in play-in games to make the official first-round field of 64.
- 2 packs of Assorted Cestari labels (You will need 17 large, 20 medium, 9 small, 4 mini)
- 1 white Cestari chalk pen
- clean refrigerator surface (or other smooth surface)
- Your bracket will consist of 64 teams — after completion of the First Four play-in games — divided evenly among the West, Midwest, East and South regions.
- Take 16 large labels (4 for each region). From the NCAA selection committee you can, using the Cestari white chalk pen, fill in the teams playing each other (No 1 v. No 16, No 2 v. No 15, No 3 v. No 14, etc.). Place the label horizontally. Starting with the West region write No 1 team v. No 16 team on the upper half of the label. Draw a line. Write the No 2 v. No 15 team for the West region. Repeat to fill out all four labels for the West region making sure to keep in order.
- Repeat for Midwest, East and South
- Remove the backing and place the West and Midwest region labels horizontally in order on the left side of the refrigerator (or other smooth surface). Space each label equally apart vertically. Repeat for the East and South regions on the right side of the refrigerator.
- Now for the fun part. From the two games on each label from Round 1 choose a winner from the top half game and the bottom half game. Using a white chalk marker write the teams on a medium Cestari label. There will be four labels for each region. Place labels on the refrigerator using the photo above as a guide.
- The Sweet Sixteen - using 16 small Cestari labels write the four winners from each region (16 teams total). Place labels on the refrigerator using the photo above as a guide.
- Elite Eight - using 8 small Cestari labels write the two winners from each region (8 teams total). Place labels on the refrigerator using the photo above as a guide.
- Final Four - using 4 mini Cestari labels write the four teams. Place labels on the refrigerator using the photo above as a guide.
- Final Round - using one large Cestari label write the two teams to play the final game.
Copyright 2021, Larson MacDowell Enterprises LLC